Telephone Assistance Programs
Lifeline Program Information
What Benefits are available under the Lifeline Program?
Lifeline Assistance and TAP provide discounts on basic monthly service at the primary residence for qualified telephone subscribers. In addition, the Lifeline credit may also be applied to broadband service in addition to basic telephone service.
You may be eligible for Lifeline if:
- you, or someone in your household, participates in one of the following federal assistance programs:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Medicaid / Medical Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension
- your household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You may also be eligible for Lifeline if:
- you reside on Tribal lands (any federally recognized Indian tribe’s reservation, Pueblo, or Colony including former reservations in Oklahoma, Alaska Native regions, Hawaiian Home Lands, and Indian Allotments) and you participate in any of the above federal assistance programs; or
- you, or someone in your household, participates in one of the following assistance programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally Administered Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Minnesota TAP Program
The Minnesota Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) may provide eligible persons with a monthly credit on their phone bills. The eligibility requirements for TAP are the same as the eligibility requirements for the Lifeline program.
To apply for Lifeline and TAP:
- Contact Barnesville Municipal Telephone at (218)354-2292 for an application or,
- Click here for the Lifeline /TAP application – Print the application, fill out the application and return it along with the required income documentation to Barnesville Municipal Telephone at: 102 Front Street North, Barnesville MN 56514
National Do Not Call Registry
You can register your home or mobile phone for free. The federal government created the National Do-Not-Call Registry to make it easier and more efficient for you to stop getting sales calls you don’t want. You can register on line or by calling 1-888-382-1222 (TYY 1-866-290-4236) from the number you wish to register. Registration is free and your number will stay in the registry until it is disconnected, or until you delete it from the registry.
Minnesota consumers who do not want to be contacted by telemarketers may register their phone numbers on a No-Call List. To sign up for the free service, call the Minnesota Department of Commerce at 1-800-657-3602- or click here. Consumers who sign up for this Minnesota list do not need to re-register for the National Do-Not-Call Registry as the information will be shared with the National Registry